Chicken Tetrazzini - Comfort Food To The Max!
What to do with left over chicken from last night? It would be great to get another meal out of it but there's only about 2 cups of chicken meat. It's a chilly, rainy spring day so I want something warm and comforting. A CASSEROLE....it's the perfect food for a dreary day like this. After scanning the fridge and the cupboards, I have a plan and that plan is Chicken Tetrazzini. Easy to make and really tasty, it will fill the Bill (meaning my dear hubby, Bill) and have some left to freeze for another meal. This recipe works well with leftover turkey so I always make it after Thanksgiving to use up the copious amounts of turkey left from the holiday.Print
Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole Recipe
Perfect way to use up leftover poultry meat!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 mins
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Casserole
- Cuisine: American - Italian
- 1 package (8 - 12 oz.) egg noodles
- 1 stick butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 c. chicken stock
- ¾ tsp. celery salt
- 1 ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 1 6 oz. can sliced mushrooms
- 3 tbs. finely chopped Italian parsley
- 2 c. chicken meat, cut into 1" pieces
- ¾ c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook noodles according to package. Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a saute pan, add flour while stirring with a whisk to make a roux.
- Add stock and celery salt, salt, and pepper. Cook over low heat while stirring constantly to thicken sauce.
- Remove sauce from heat and add cream while stirring slowly.
- Add mushrooms, and parsley. Stir to blend these in.
- Grease a 3 qt. casserole dish.
- Starting with a layer of noodles, then chicken, and then mushroom sauce, alternate layers till ingredients are used up.
- Top with the grated cheese. Be sure to use freshly grated cheese and not packaged grated parm which resembles sawdust. It makes a lot of difference!
- Bake at 350F, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes.