Slow Cooker Beef Stew – The solution to a chilly Fall day!
There is nothing so comforting as sitting down to a bowl of piping hot, gravy laden beef stew on chilly fall night. The beauty of doing it in a slow cooker is once you assemble it the stew takes care of itself and is waiting for you at the end of the day. A hearty, glorious meal in a bowl, it’s easy to serve. Just add the three B’s to the menu – bread. butter, and a beverage – and dinner is on the table in a flash at the end of a busy day. Oh, bless that slow cooker! In my days of having a young family, with a hubby and three hungry boys to feed, and a full time job, my slow cooker was my go-to appliance. I would just load it up in the morning, head off to work, and we would come home to a tasty, wholesome meal. No fast food, frozen food, or convenience food, just good nutritious home cooking from scratch. I would cut all my veggies up the night before and put them in containers so all I had to do in the morning was put everything in the slow cooker, turn the dial, and head to work.
It can’t get any easier than this beef stew recipe. If you can peel a potato, and slice a carrot, your the chef! And its a great meal that even the fussiest kids will eat. In the words of Julia, “Bon Appetit”!Print
Slow Cooker Beef Stew – a warming solution for chilly days!
There’s no comfort food like beef stew to fill you up withal kinds of warming goodness.
- Category: Stew/Soup
- Cuisine: American
- 2 lbs.of beef stew meat, in 1″ pieces
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tbs.. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 1/2” pieces
- 1 bag of frozen pearl onions
- 2 cups fresh button mushrooms
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 3 potatoes, cut in 1″ pieces
- Dredge the meat in flour and brown in olive oil in a sauté pan.
- Place meat in slow cooker.
- Add kosher salt, pepper, paprika, bay leaves, garlic, remaining flour and Worcestershire sauce to slow cooker.
- Pour beef broth into sauté pan to deglaze pan. Be sure to loosen up all the brown crusty bits of goodness and then pour all into the slow cooker.
- Add celery, onions, mushrooms, potatoes, carrots to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on High for 4-6 hours.
Try some of my other slow cooker comfort food recipes –