Risotto, in a slow cooker, is Risotto perfection!
Risotto, that yummy gourmet comfort food, has intimidated a lot of cooks, including me. After seeing an enraged, cursing Chef Gordon Ramsay throw a saute pan full of risotto into the garbage while Hell’s Kitchen competitors look on with wide eyed shock, you definitely get the impression that you should be terrified to attempt risotto. The dish also gets a bad rap because it is very time consuming, needing to be stirred and added to constantly for at least 20 - 25 minutes. What busy Mom has that kind of uninterrupted time on her hands? But if you really think about risotto, and why it needs time and attention, it really lends itself to crock pot cooking. Yes, I know that there are going to be “Risotto purists” who will think that my method is a sacrilege and my reply to them is, “get over it”. Anyone who has had my version hasn’t complained. I rest my case.Print
Slow Cooker Risottto Recipe
Creamy and smooth, this recipe is so easy!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 2 hours 10 mins
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Italian
- ¼ c. olive oil, plus a little extra
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 ¼ c. arborio rice
- ½ c. dry white wine
- 3 ¾ cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- ½ c. grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 3 tbs. heavy cream
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- Heat the oil in a saute pan and over medium heat saute the shallots until they are translucent.
- Coat the inside of the slow cooker with olive oil.
- Add the sauted shallots and oil to the slow cooker.
- Add the rice and coat with shallot/oil mixture.
- Add ¼ c. of wine and chicken broth.
- Add the salt and thyme and stir ingredients together.
- Place cooker on slow cooker and cook on high for 2 hours or until liquid is absorbed into rice.
- minutes before the rice is done, sauté mushrooms in sauté pan with 1tbsp. of olive oil and ¼ c. of white wine.
- Stir cream and cheese into slow cooker and stir. Let the mixture heat for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with mushrooms on top.