Juicy Plum Muffins – They’re Wicked Good!
Up here in Maine we have a saying, “Wicked Good”. We use it to describe anything, like this delicious Plum Muffin Recipe, that we think is just the best, over the top, really, really good! When plums are good, they are really good and in this Plum Muffin Recipe they are absolutely the best.
How to pick the plums for this muffin recipe.
Picking out a plum is tricky. The color doesn’t give you a hint of what is inside. Of course, the best way to pick a perfect plum is to get them right off the tree in the orchard when they are at peak ripeness but most of us have to source our plums from our local market. Don’t even bother with any plums that have a wrinkled skin. Don’t shy away from plums that have that chalky, white powder on their on their skin. It’s called the bloom. The presence of bloom on a plum is a good sign that it hasn’t been handled a lot on its way to the store from the orchard. A plum should smell sweetly fruity. It should not be overly soft to the touch but be firm, not hard, and have just a little give when gently squeezed.
How to store your plums for you Plum Muffins
When you get the plums home wash them gently in lukewarm water. If not yet ripe, they can be left at room temperature until they ripen. To hasten the ripening process you can place them in a paper bag for a couple of days. When they reach your desired level of ripeness, the plums can be stored in the refrigerator in a plastic bag where they will keep for up to a week. No fruit or vegetable is the same after being refrigerated but it is better than having them go soft and mushy on you.
Plums are good for you – a healthy fruit!
Plums are a very nutritious fruit providing many health benefits. Plums are a source of numerous vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants. Fresh plums contain the vitamins A, K, B2, B3, and B6. They also contain the minerals potassium, copper, manganese, magnesium, and phosphorous. They have several characteristics that can help reduce the risk of many chronic diseases. Both beneficial and delicious plums are easy to incorporate into your diet as they require minimal preparation.
Best Juicy Plum Muffin RecipePrint
Juicy Plum Muffin!
Tasty and moist….the perfect partner for a great up of coffee!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Category: Quick Bread
- Cuisine: American, New England
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup red plum, coarsely chopped
- Preheat your oven to 425 F.
- Grease a 12 cup muffin pan or line with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, except for 1 tbs., sugar, baking powder and salt and mix thoroughly.
- Combine milk, egg, melted butter, and almond extract in a separate bowl and whisk together.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix till batter comes together. Be careful not to overmix.
- Dust the plum pieces with the remaining flour (this will help keep the plums from sinking to the bottom of the muffins and more evenly distribute them in the flour) and then gently combine into batter.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tin and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then remove from muffin pan. Finish cooling on rack.