Muffins are an incredibly easy quick bread to make, and when I say quick, I mean quick! It is possible to put together and bake a batch of scrumptious muffins in 35 minutes. And the varieties are endless with your imagination as your only limit. You start out with a very basic recipe and then add enhancements. When unexpected guests drop in, warm muffins fresh from the oven, with a good cup of coffee are the go-to refreshments for me.
Basic Muffins Recipe
|Muffin Basics or your Basic Muffin?|| || |
- 2 c. flour
- 1 c. sugar (to cut calories replace ½ of the sugar with an artificial sweetener)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- ¾ c. milk
- ¼ c. + 2 Tbsp. oil
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 – 1 ½ c. “enhancing” ingredients
- Put dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
- In a small separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients by first beating the egg, and then add oil, vanilla, and milk.Dependent on the moistness of the “enhancing ingredients” you may want to adjust the amount of milk by reducing it a little. If I am using applesauce, crushed pineapple, pumpkin or squash puree etc. I reduce the amount of milk, and if I use dried fruit like raisins, dried cranberries, and such I add a couple of tbsp. more.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Like all quick breads, do not over mix.
- I use an ice cream scoop to fill greased tins. Instead of greasing you can use “cupcake liners”.
- You can sprinkle the tops with sugar or make a crumble topping and put 1 ½ tsp. on each of the muffins (recipe below).
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick. If it comes out clean, they’re done.
Helpful Hint –To save time, I keep a batch of the dry ingredients all mixed in a sealed container in the cupboard so all I have to do is add the wet ingredients. To mix a batch in the proportions above I take 3 cups of the mix to the wet ingredients, add whatever enhancements I want.
Variations on a theme – More Muffin Recipes
Apple spice Muffins – Add 1 apple, peeled and chopped along with ½ tsp. cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg.
Banana Nut – add 1c. mashed bananas and 1/2 c. chopped walnuts.
Blueberry – 1 cup of blueberries, fresh or frozen. Dust the blueberries in flour to keep them from sinking to the bottom of the batter.
Cherry Nut – add 1c. chopped cherries and 1/2 c. chopped walnuts.
Chocolate Chip Muffins – add 1 c. chocolate chips and ½ c. walnuts.
Chocolaty Chocolate Chip Muffins – add 1/4 c. cocoa powder, and 1/2 c. chocolate chips.
Cranberry Orange Muffins – add 1 c. chopped fresh cranberries, 1/2 c. nuts, 1 teas. Fresh orange zest ( you can use dried cranberries and dried orange rind spice, just increase the moist ingredients)
Date Nut Muffins – add 1 cup of finely chopped dates and ½ cup of chopped walnuts. Increase the milk by 1 tbsp. because of the dryness of the dates.
Pumpkin Cranberry Spice Muffins – add 1 c. canned pumpkin, ½ cranberries (fresh or dried), 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spices, 1/2 c. walnuts. Remember to reduce milk by ½ cup.
White Chocolate Macadamia Muffins – add 1 c. of white chocolate chunks and ½ c. of chopped macadamia nuts.
1/4 c. flour
1/2 c. light-brown sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 stick butter, melted
Mix flour, cinnamon and sugar together. Let butter cool a little after melting , and then combine it with the dry ingredients. Sprinkle 1 ½ tsp. on the top of each muffin before baking.
THIS POST WAS FEATURED ON –