Quick and Easy Healthy Alternative to French Fries
I’m always looking for ways to cut a few calories here and there but without compromising flavor and food quality and this roasted potato recipe does that I still use butter because I hate the change in margarine since the whole trans fat debacle. The “new” margarine just makes toast slimy…..yuck! So instead I take the “all things in moderation” approach and use a little less butter or if a recipe calls for melted butter I will cut the amount of butter in half and make up the difference by substituting canola oil.
French fries are a favorite around here but the Thompson gang never went for doing frozen ones in the oven. So deep frying has been the desired prep up until now. But I have developed this method to make a spicy fry alternative that has everybody smiling. It’s a healthier alternative than deep fry and the flavor is great. Win, win!
|Spicy Roasted Potato Wedges|| |
- 4 russet potatoes, 4 - 5 inches long
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp.. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- ¼ tsp. cayenne
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. coarse ground black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Slice each potato lengthwise into 8 wedges. Set aside.
- Mix the paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, cayenne, salt, and pepper together in a bowl.
- Add olive oil and mix with whisk.
- Add potatoes to the spice/olive oil mixture and toss to thoroughly cover.
- Place wedges on cookie sheet.
- Roast in 400F oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and turn the potatoes over with tongs.
- Return to oven for an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve with favorite condiments.