Quick and Easy Healthy Alternative to French Fries
I’m always looking for ways to cut a few calories here and there but without compromising flavor and food quality and this roasted potato recipe does that I still use butter because I hate the change in margarine since the whole trans fat debacle. The “new” margarine just makes toast slimy…..yuck! So instead I take the “all things in moderation” approach and use a little less butter or if a recipe calls for melted butter I will cut the amount of butter in half and make up the difference by substituting canola oil.
French fries are a favorite around here but the Thompson gang never went for doing frozen ones in the oven. So deep frying has been the desired prep until now which is not the healthiest approach. I’m not a healthy food fanatic but anytime that I can make a decision that eliminates an unhealthy aspect of recipe I’m all for it as long as it doesn’t effect the flavor. I have developed this method to make a spicy fry alternative that has everybody smiling. It’s a healthier alternative than deep fry and the flavor is great. Win, win! I use russet potatoes for this recipe but you can also use Yukon gold with great results.
|Spicy Roasted Potato Wedges|| || |
- 4 russet potatoes, 4 - 5 inches long
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp.. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- ¼ tsp. cayenne
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. coarse ground black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Slice each potato lengthwise into 8 wedges. Set aside.
- Mix the paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, cayenne, salt, and pepper together in a bowl.
- Add olive oil and mix with whisk.
- Add potatoes to the spice/olive oil mixture and toss to thoroughly cover.
- Place wedges on cookie sheet.
- Roast in 400F oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and turn the potatoes over with tongs.
- Return to oven for an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve with favorite condiments.