This recipe in the top 50 at allfreecasserolerecipes.com for the month of Fbruary 2018!!!!!!!!!!
An Old Maine Logging Camp Favorite Adapted for the Slow Cooker!
This old logging camp favorite has been adapted for cooking in today’s slow cooker. Here in the Northwoods, the logging camps were famous for the hearty meals that they served their work crews in the old days. Back then the process of harvesting the trees was labor intensive and the lumber jacks needed good hearty meals to fuel them. The men had to cut the trees down by hand, and pull them out with teams of horses. As time passed the work was made a little easier with the use of chainsaws and skidder-tractors but still required a lot of moving around and physical work. Not so much now as the whole process has become very mechanized and tracts of trees that took weeks to cut can now be harvested in a day or two. If you ever plan to visit northern Maine, be sure to include a trip to the Lumbermen’s Museum in Patten, Maine. It has a wonderful living history exhibit of life in the North Maine Woods Lumber Camps of old. And in August, the outstanding Bean Hole Bean Dinner is an event that folks from all over New England come to for a taste of the old Maine lumberjack tradition, “bean Hole Beans”.
But the cooking traditions are still rooted deep in these Northwoods communities. This recipe was given to me by a woman who worked as a cook in the logging camps in the old days. I adapted it to the slow cooker for today’s busy families. It’s a hearty one-dish meal that has a little bit of everything – meat, veggies, dairy.
|Slow Cooker Lumberjack Casserole|| |
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 5 medium potatoes, cut in 1" cubes
- 1½ tsp. minced garlic (about 1 large clove)
- 1 can (15 ounce) of stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (16 ounce) kidney beans
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
- ½ tsp. oregano
- ¼ tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1½ cups grated cheese, monterey jack or cheddar
- Brown ground beef in skillet, then drain the fat and put ground beef in slow cooker.
- Pour tomatoes with juice into a medium bowl and smash up a little with a potato masher utensil. Add with juice to slow cooker.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except for the cheese and stir to mix well.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. (4 hours on high).
- Sprinkle the top with cheese and let cook for one more hour covered.
- Serve piping hot. Great with a side of freshly baked biscuits.