Easy to grow! Tasty to eat! Slow Cooker Curried Carrot Soup reaps the harvest rewards…
Carrots are a huge favorite vegetable in the Thompson family. In fact, they are at the top of everyone’s list so when we plant our garden in the spring they are always guaranteed a large section of the garden. With proper soil, they are quite easy to cultivate and they store well whether you pack them in straw, sawdust, or sand in a place that is above 32F and 95% humidity. I pack mine in plastic totes filled with clean dry sand and store them in the coolest area in the cellar where they last for months.
Crock Pot Curried Carrot Soup makes for a “Souper Supper”!
It’s fall. Chilly, crisp days with lots of work to be done to get ready for winter. After spending the day stacking firewood, cleaning up the gardens, putting tools and equipment away for the winter, it is very comforting to come into a warm kitchen and have a nice big pot of soup and a tasty loaf of crusty bread ready to eat. A healthy meal after a healthy outdoor work day…..it doesn’t get more rewarding than that. So before we head outside to do our chores, I load up two crock pots – one with a bread ingredients and one with a soup ingredients so that our meal is ready after we are done for the day. Just spoon the soup into the bowls and slice the warm bread….dinner is served with no fuss, no mess. This carrot soup with its spicy curry flavor is perfect after a day of cool weather yard work.Print
Slow Cooker Curried Carrot Soup
This is the perfect soup to warm you up on a chilly day! Pureed to velvety smoothness in the blender or with an immersion blender, just add some chopped chives or a dollop of sour cream as a garnish.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 20 mins
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1 tbs. butter
- 2 tsp. curry powder (use Madras if you want a spicier soup)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 medium stalks of celery, thinly sliced
- 4 cups sliced carrots (about 6–8 carrots)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 5 cups chicken broth
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup half & half cream (use fat free for more healthy version)
- sour cream as garnish
- chives as garnish
- Melt butter with olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add onion, celery, and carrots. Sauté for 5 mins. over medium heat.
- Add garlic and curry powder and continue to sauté another 3 mins. being careful not to burn garlic.
- Put veggies in slow cooker.
- Deglaze skillet with 2 cups of chicken broth being sure to scrape up any crusty brown bits, and then pour into slow cooker.
- Add the rest of the chicken broth.
- Set slow cooker on low heat for 3-4 hours. Cook until carrots are tender.
- Using the immersion blender, puree the soup in slow cooker until velvety smooth.
- Add half & half and blend till thoroughly combined.
- Add slat & pepper to taste.
- Serve garnished with chopped chives and/or dollop of sour cram.
For more great slow cooker soup recipes try these favorite Wilderness Wife links –
Slow Cooker Mushroom Barley Soup
Slow Cooker Beef Curry Soup Recipe
Slow Cooker Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Soup
Happy Valley Chow says
Wow that soup looks incredible, The color is out of this world! Thanks for sharing, pinned 🙂