Apple Pie and Mom ...it's an American thing!
This Apple Crumble pie is one of my favorite Apple Pie recipes.. I love making pies and ,of course, Bill loves eating them, and apple is his favorite. To change things up from the typical two crust apple pie, I try different recipes. This apple pie recipe for Apple Crumble Pie is from an older cookbook circa 1978 called "Better Homes and Gardens All Time Favorite Pies". This is my "go to" cookbook for pie recipes as it contains enough pie recipes for a lifetime, 169 total. If you ever get a chance to grab one at a yard sale or on Ebay, it's a good investment. One hint, be sure to use pie apples when baking an apple pie. Click this link for a helpful chart from that New England favorite, "The Old farmer's Almanac".Print
Apple Crumble Pie
Serve up a slice of Apple Crumble Pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or wedge of Vermont cheddar cheese
- Cook Time: 60 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Pie Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Pastry for single-crust pie
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 6 cups thinly sliced, peeled cooking apples (2 lbs.)
- 3 tbs. lemon juice
- ½ c. all purpose flour
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. ground mace
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- Prepare and roll out single crust pastry.
- Line a 9 inch pie plate with pastry.
- Trim pastry to ½ inch beyond pie plate edge.
- Flute edge, do not prick crust.
- In mixing bowl stir together ½ c. sugar, the 2 tablespoons flour, and the lemon peel. Set aside. Sprinkle apple slices with lemon juice.
- Toss apples with sugar mixture.
- Turn apples into pastry lines pie plate.
- Combine the remaining ½ c. sugar, the ½ c. flour, cinnamon, ginger, and mace.
- Cut the butter or margarine into flour mixture till crumbly.
- Sprinkle atop apple slices.
- To prevent overbrowning of crust, cover pie edges with foil.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes, then remove foil edges and continue to bake for an additional 30 minutes or until top is golden.
This post was featured on: