The whole family will love Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole.
Getting veggies into the kids can be a bit of a battle but drenching those veggies in tasty sauces and cheese is the perfect strategy. Broccoli and cauliflower are great for this mission and they are extremely good for you. Broccoli is an extremely beneficial food. It gives great fiber content, contains Vitamins A and K, and has anti inflammatory properties. Cauliflower also ranks high in the healthy foods list. It contains Vitamin C and Vitamin K, and also has anti inflammatory properties, That’s good news for those who suffer from arthritis, cardiovascular problems, and many other ailments. Combining the two into one tasty dish is a win, win in my book!
This casserole comes together easily and will have them begging for more. It’s recipe that I prepare quite often for the family and they love it so give it a try with yours! You’ll be pleased with the results, and may want to consider growing both veggies in your garden. Both cauliflower and broccoli are easy to grow and easy to preserve through freezing so you can enjoy the results of your harvest all through the year. Both grow well in colder climates so we Mainers grow a lot of broccoli and cauliflower. Broccoli likes cool weather (does best in temps from 65-80F) , full sun, good drainage, and rich, well fertilized, moist soil. Cauliflower ‘s growing requirements are very similar to broccoli, and it loves temperatures in the 60F to 75F range.
Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole
Tasty and nutritious, this has been a family favorite since I was a kid. The broccoli, cauliflower, and onions can be cooked together in preparation.
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- Category: Vegetable Casserole
- Cuisine: American
- 3 cups of broccoli florets, cooked and drained
- 3 cups of cauliflower florets, cooked and drain
- 1 cup small pearl onions, cooked and drained (you can use frozen as they are easier)
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 c. mayonnaise
- 1 small can mushrooms, stems and pieces
- 1/2 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan (grate your own, the packaged stuff is like sawdust, yuck)
- 1 c. crushed Ritz crackers (optional)
- 3 tbs. melted butter (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Spray a 2 quart casserole with nonstick spray.
- Combine the onions, broccoli, and cauliflower and put in the casserole.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine mushroom soup, lemon juice and mayonnaise.
- Fold in mushrooms, and cheeses to mixture and then pour mixture over veggies in casserole dish.
- (Optional step)If you would like a crunchy topping, mix crackers and butter and use to top the casserole.