Slow Cooker Ham Recipe - Moist and Fork Tender
This slow cooker ham recipe will result in a fork tender baked ham and the liquid left in the pot can be made into a delicious sauce to be served with the ham. This ham recipe is meant to be prepared in a large slow cooker/ crock pot - 7 qt. or larger.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 5-7 hours
- Total Time: 7 hours 15 mins
- Yield: 10 1x
- Category: Meat
- Cuisine: American
- 6 - 7 lb. ham Bone-in Butt or Shank are my personal favorites.
- 3/4 c. gingerale
- prepared yellow mustard
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. orange zest
- Optional ingredients -
- 20 whole cloves (optional) Makes for a pretty presentation, adds flavor, and smells heavenly while cooking.
- Corn starch for thickening is making sauce from drippings.
- Spray inside of crock pot with non stick cooking spray.
- If you are going to use the cloves, score the ham in a crosshatch pattern making 1 inch squares with cuts 1/4" deep. Insert whole cloves at intersecting points.
- Pour gingerale over ham.
- Coat ham with mustard.
- Sprinkle orange zest over ham.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over ham.
- Set slow cooker on low. Cook an uncooked ham for 5 - 7 hrs on high for the first 2 hours then reduce to low, dependent on your ham size. Be sure to check internal temp - 120F-140F is what you want. Cook precooked ham for 3 hrs. and check internal temp. When ham is done remove from slow cooker and place on platter tenting it with foil. Let rest while you prepare optional sauce.
- Sauce -
- Strain liquid left in slow cooker into a saucepan. Taste to see if it needs any seasoning. Most likely it won't need salt.
- Take 2 tbsp. of corn starch and mix with 1/4 cup water to make a slurry.
- Over medium heat, add the cornstarch slurry to the hot liquid while stirring gently with a whisk. It should only take a minute to thicken. Don't over stir as it may break down. Serve the sauce over the ham.
Keywords: slow cooker ham recipe, ham recipe