Creamy Tomato Bisque ….variation on a childhood favorite!
Creamy Tomato Bisque was on the menu last night at the Thompson house! When I was a kid, Campbell’s Tomato Soup was my favorite. I would have eaten my favorite combo of Campbell’s Tomato Soup and a grilled cheese sandwich at every meal if the adults in my life would have allowed it. Now that I am one of those grownups, my tastes are more sophisticated. I no longer want my soup to come from a can, and I prefer a Creamy Tomato Bisque to Condensed Tomato Soup. So I made this recipe to satisfy that urge for a childhood comfort food with a taste a little more intriguing for my adult palette. Bill said it was definitely a “10” in his book.
|Creamy Tomato Bisque|| || |
Recipe type: Soup
Author: The Wilderness Wife
An adult replacement for my favorite childhood comfort food.
- ¼ lb. butter
- 1 c. chopped celery
- 1 c. chopped onion
- ½ c. chopped carrots
- ⅓ c. all purpose flour
- 2 (1 lb. 12 oz.) cans of whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1 tsp. marjoram
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 c. chicken broth
- 1 pint heavy cream
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. curry
- ¼ tsp. white pepper
- pinch of salt (to taste)
- Melt butter in a large soup pot.
- Saute onion, celery, and carrots until tender.
- Add the flour, and stirring constantly, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, sugar, basil, marjoram, bay leaf and chicken broth.
- Simmer for 30 minutes while stirring occasionally, then discard bay leaf.
- Puree using the appliance of your choice. I use an immersion blender, but a regular blender or a food processor will work.
- Add cream, paprika, curry, pepper and salt.
- Stir to combine.
- Serve hot or cold.