- Finely chop enough zucchini to make 12 cups.
- Finely chop 4 cups of yellow onions.
- Finely chop 1 red pepper and 1 green pepper.
Combine the vegetables and sprinkle with the pickling/canning salt. Stir well & and let set overnight in the refrigerator.
- Combine the vegetables and sprinkle with the pickling/canning salt. Stir well & and let set overnight in the refrigerator.
- The next morning rinse well in cold water in a colander and drain. Squeeze excess liquid from them. I use a clean kitchen towel to do this.
- In a large pot, mix vinegar, sugar, green chili peppers, celery seed. mustard seed, turmeric, cornstarch, black pepper, and nutmeg.
Next morning rinse well in cold water in a colander and drain. Squeeze excess liquid from them.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and boil 2-3 minutes to create a syrup.
- Add the chopped vegetables and simmer for 15 -20 minutes.
- Add hot mixture to sterilized ½ pint or pint Mason jars. Leave ½” headspace. Process in a water bath for 10 minutes.
- Remove jars from water bath and allow to cool undisturbed for 12 to 24 hours. Then wipe jars and lids clean with a damp cloth and store in a cool dark place for up to 12 months. (You will likely hear the jars pop when they seal shortly after removal from water bath. The next day test the seals by pushing on top. There should be no movement of the lid. Also gentle pressure from your fingertips on edges of lid should reveal that it is securely suctioned onto the jar.)
- Note: The relish tastes good from the start, but allowing it to set for 6 weeks will deepen the flavor, which is often the case with pickled items.