Beef Curry Soup, yummy and fragrant simmering in the Slow Cooker = a little bit of Heaven here on earth!
It’s almost May here in the North Maine Woods but the weather has been cold and rainy. We even had a snow storm a week ago! This seems like it has been an endless winter and today we have a cold, bone chilling drizzle and gloomy skies. It’s the perfect day for a warm comforting soup so I have just finished filling the slow cooker with a batch of Slow Cooker Beef Curry Soup. I’ll be serving the Beef Curry Soup with a nice crusty baguette spread with garlic butter and toasted under the broiler for a few minutes. It’s a meal that always puts a smile on Bill’s face and for me. that’s a good thing!
|Slow Cooker Beef Curry Soup Recipe|| || |
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1½ lbs. beef stew meat, cut in ½-3/4" cubes
- 2 medium onions, coarse chop
- ½ cup celery, coarsely chopped
- 4 cups of beef broth
- 2 cups water
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. coarse ground pepper
- 3 tsp. curry powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme, tied in bundle for easy removal or ½ tsp. dried thyme
- 3 med. carrots, sliced
- 3 med. potatoes cut into ¾" cubes
- 1 cup of sliced fresh mushrooms (I like Baby Bellas)
- 1 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- Heat a large skillet and add olive oil.
- Dredge stew meat in flour and place in skillet. Add onions and celery. Cook all until meat is browned on all sides.Remove meat, onions, celery and place in slow cooker.
- Take 1 cup of beef broth and add to skillet to deglaze pan. Be sure to use a wooden spoon to loosen all the delicious bits of brown goodness from the skillet and then pour skillet content into slow cooker.
- Pour the remaining 3 cups of beef broth and water into the slow cooker.
- Add salt, pepper, curry, bay leaves and thyme sprigs to slow cooker.
- Add carrots, potatoes, mushrooms and tomatoes.
- Set slow cooker to low and cook for 6 hours.
- Taste before serving for seasoning. Add aditional seasoning if needed.