Strawberry Shortcake Cookies – The Portable Alternative!
This past weekend ended up a total bust! What had been planned as a Memorial Day picnic at the lakeside turned into a cold rainy weekend in the house. Thank goodness we have a very large front porch (10′ x 30′) that accommodates a large picnic table and gas grill so we could keep the menu that had been planned. And it was kind of fun to change up the original plans to fit the weather. All the things for the menu had been planned with portability in mind. I had made Strawberry Shortcake Cookies, which are great for a picnic when real Strawberry Shortcake isn’t practical. No refrigeration required, no dishes to clean up….it works for me!
I think I found this recipe in Martha Stewart magazine or one of her cookbooks. I have made changes here and there over the years. It’s a great one to make snacks for picnics and hikes.
|Strawberry Shortcake Cookies Recipe|| || |
- 2 cups strawberries cut into ¼-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ⅔ sugar
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine strawberries and lemon juice in bowl.
- Sift together flour and baking powder.
- Add sugar to dry ingredients and thoroughly mix with wire whisk.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut butter into dry ingredients until mixture resembles course crumbs.
- Stir in cream till dough starts to come together, then gently add strawberries. Be careful not to over-mix or strawberries can become mushy. You want the strawberries to remain chunky.
- Drop by the tablespoonful onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Be sure to use parchment paper. It will make the clean up easier, as the sugary fruit will scorch and stick to the cookie sheet if it comes in direct contact with it.
- Bake until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove to cool on wire racks.
For more great recipes and ideas, check out our Wicked Good Wednesday Blog Party, and link up with us!
This recipe was featured at –