- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- 1 tsp. sage
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 large roasting chicken
- 2 medium onions , 1 quartered and 1 diced
- Remove any giblets from chicken and clean chicken. (I’m not a giblet person so these go to my cats, Chuckles and CJ.)
- In a small bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients to create a nice spice rub, and rub the spice mixture onto the chicken.
- Put chicken in a plastic bag and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, take chicken in bag, from fridge and let set on counter for 1/2 – 1 hour.
- When ready to cook, put quartered onion in the chicken cavity and place diced onion in bottom of slow cooker. Pour in 1/2 cup of white wine. I use a good wine that I would drink with the meal.
- Add chicken. No liquid other than the wine is needed, the chicken will makes wonderful juicy sauce that can be thickened with a roux and served as a gravy.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours. Doneness can be checked by inserting a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the breast. 170 – 175F degrees is done.
- Carefully remove chicken and place on platter to rest for 15 minutes while you use juices from crock pot to make a gravy.